Today began normally enough, waking up on an overcast day (apparently they do get those though it was as warm as ever) and preparing for the real reason for this trip, the open house at the LBJ School of Public Policy where I intend to apply for a masters degree program. As I began walking over from hotel, I again felt what I always feel on college campuses: all college students on a basic level are the same! Despite all that may make me different from them, and they different from me, we are all just one among tens of thousands of college students going about our daily lives, educations and trying to figure out a future.
I arrived the LBJ building, which is very new, very open and as nice as any university building I have ever entered. The staff of the LBJ school greeted me at the door, took me to the registration table and escorted me to breakfast. This southern hospitality they talk about is not a joke, and I really cold get used to it.
First agenda item was a tour of the massive campus, customized for prospective LBJ students and it was quite informative, though Alina had told me most of what the tour guide shared. Next was a meet and greet with faculty, staff and students at LBJ. I was meeting with some fellow perspective students and a star member and the Dean joined us for coffee and talking for 30min, no big deal! I really liked how close the staff and professors are to the students. They learn everyone's names (even those not in their classes) and seem to really care about the learning and success of their students.
After that there was a seminar about the admissions process and a student panel. Both were informative and helpful but not much worth sharing here. I did like the sense of community they all shared and apparently LBJ students get to become a very close and tight knit community.
After that I observed a class on nuclear statecraft, an interest of mine, and it did not disappoint. I was both overwhelmed by the level of detail they discussed and the informal nature of the class, but at the same time knew I could fit in that class and even excel there. At this exact point I confirmed to myself, I am ready. It is time to apply to my top three grad school picks, go through all the hoops involved, get admitted and begin the next stage of my life.
This was a full day, and I left the school at once confident, excited and a tiny bit overwhelmed. All that was left was to return home, just in time to go to bed and get up for 4 classes tomorrow.....
Sorry not too many interesting pictures from today, I was a bit preoccupied with my future!
So where to next?? Barring any spontaneous trips (one day I actually will do that!) I am planning to go with UCIMUN on some trip next winter, so I suppose Matt of the North shall return EVENTUALY!
In the meantime I have a thesis to draft, 3 grad schools to apply for, 2 clubs to run, work and classes. I suppose that can keep me occupied.
As before,
I shall always remain,
No comments:
Post a Comment