10 August 2014

New Beginning in the NCR

Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of my life. Ok, ok that's a cliche, I know it, I accept it. Get over it. In fact, if you have a problem with that, talk to my lawyer or my marine biologist? (What, you don't have a marine biologist? You should get one, they are awesome.)

I'm writing this in my new apartment in Arlington, VA, on the eve of my first day of work at an awesome new job here in our nation's capital. This is where I have wanted to be for the last 4 or so years. This is why I studied abroad, why I studied what I did in undergrad and graduate school. My life since I started this blog just over 4 years ago has all been focused in getting me to this point, and here I am. I'm here to build a new life, to start a new career, and hopefully, finally find a good life/work balance.

I know that to accomplish what I have thus far, I have had to not do some of the things my peers get to do, work more, play less and generally focus on the future at the expense of the present. I don't regret what I have done or how I have lived my life. It was a choice I made, did so with full knowledge and I would do it again if given the chance. Sure there are things I would do differently, some people I have lost touch with I would have preferred to keep close and paths not taken, but that's life. We live, we learn, we grow and (helpfully) with time we laugh about what was serious at the time.

DC is a different style of life from Monterey or Huntington Beach. More on that later, but besides the weather and the quality of the produce, most of it suits me just fine. I find it funny (though really it makes sense) that I now have more friends living in the DC area then I have back in California. People I know from high school, undergrad, jobs, internships, and grad school all live and live/work/study in the area. I'm glad to have the opportunity to catch up with all of them, relive past adventures and have some new ones. Of course, the chance to meet new people and see new places will

My suit for tomorrow is laid out, briefcase ready, directions confirmed and rechecked and backups planned, and I have two alarms set. Sure its excessive, but that's what I do and who I am. It has worked so far, why change now?

More blogging will come, there is a whole new region of the US to explore. Look out for upcoming posts on my new home, my new neighborhood, the horrors of moving, and most excitingly new places.

Matt of the North(east)


[PS- I still always go north, why do I never anywhere to the south?]

No comments:

Post a Comment