07 December 2010

Final Days; Final Tests

Well I did it.  Today I had part 2/2 of my Russian exam and so ends my formal Russian classes (at least at an undergraduate level or at UCI).

For the intensive Russian class I have here we had a 2 part final.  It consisted of two separate, but equally important, groups, a written grammar exam and a verbal phonetics and conversational exam.  Monday’s grammar test was easier I had feared, probably a product of them showing some mercy on us and that since I have been using Russian every day for over 3 months I am bound to learn something.  The Russian method of proctoring written texts differs somewhat from what I used to as well.  All of the 40+ students in the Russian language taught in English program here where in the same room, from the beginners to the near native speakers.  More strangely for me, the language instructors would wander around the room and occasionally look over the tests in progress and point out small mistakes their students’ have made. 

While helpful both for their student’s grades and peace of mind (and also their statics I assume) I just find it funny coming from classes where teachers will barely help you clarify badly worded questions or miscopied pages.  In fact today when I was shown my graded grammar test (I did well!) after taking part 2 of my final today, my grammar teacher asked me, “I see you forgot how to spell these words in your passive speech dialogue.  Why didn’t you ask me how?  I would have told you…”

Then today’s oral final which I considered to be one of the scarcest tests I have ever prepared for, consisted of 4 parts (with a surprise 5th part): reading a text with proper pronunciation, talking about the contents of that text, reciting a memorized poem and then discussing one of 4 randomly drawn topics.  To make it more intimidating, we took this test in our small classroom sitting at a desk with both instructors seated no more than 3 feet in front of us and the other 3 students sitting at the other nearby desks.

So my 3 brave comrades and I arrived at 10 at the fateful classroom “ready” for the test.  The first step was drawing a story to discuss and a topic as well.  I was incredibly lucky in my draws getting the very last story we had discussed in class and “My Saint Petersburg” as my topic.  My Saint Petersburg was my preferred topic coming into the test but for the record the other options where “My family and I,” “My City,” and “My Best Day”.   Then we had about 30 min to prepare and make some notes for our conversation/presentation.  People who know me well can attest to the fact that I don’t get nervous for tests or public speaking, but I was REALLY nervous for this but I do not know why. 

I ended up volunteering to go first in my class as a way both confront my annoying emotions and get it over with since I was confident in the material I had to present.  Overall it went well I think, I did not make any major mistakes that I am aware of, though near the beginning one of the professors kindly said to me in Russian “don’t be nervous” so I guess it showed.  I was glad to get the reading over with, and I nailed the poem and they had to cut me off while I was talking about Saint Petersburg.  One annoying thing they did do, I think trying to be helpful, was to make little corrections to my grammar (mostly case endings which are very complicated in Russian and don’t exist at all in English!) while I was speaking which threw off my speaking pattern and concentration or my ability to correct myself. 

I was glad to be done in the beginning and then to sit and watch my classmates take their exams.  After the last student finished both teachers said we all did well, and to not be worried for the results.  It was a difficult test format for all of us Americans, but one quite common in Russian schools, so I will call it part of my cultural immersion and hope for the best results.

After the exam we had a surprise part 5, tea and perog (tart)!  We sat and ate a very good apricot tart with some decent tea and talked in Russian for a bit and then said our goodbyes.  Overall I think the class tough me quite a bit of Russian, not so much in grammar but hundreds of new words  and a huge boost in my speaking competence and confidence from my arrival.  All I have left is a short essay test in my history classes on Wednesday and on Thursday which do not concern me much.  On Friday we will have a final meeting and receive our grades as they will appear on the official transcripts and then all that is left is to go for one more look around downtown and then pack it all up.

Today I caught myself thinking, “Wow it is only 30 degrees F outside.  In fact, so warm that I don’t think I will need to dress as warmly as I did yesterday…”  I think that means it is time to come home.

2 comments:

  1. Come hooooooome!!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just For you Becky, I think i will catch a flight to LAX on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete