09 December 2010

PostFinal

And just like that… Finals are over.

Yesterday I had my final for communist phase history and today I had my second history final about the 18th and 19th century of Imperial Russia.  On both tests I received a good prompt that I was able to answer quite well, know I did very well!

After the test was over, I decided to go off and do one more lap around downtown St. Petersburg, buy my last Christmas presents and to go to a final landmark which I had somehow missed before.  I took some more pictures of the downtown area and finally decided to take a picture at one of the most iconic places of the city.





We finally made it to St. Isaac’s cathedral, one of the many beautiful cathedrals in the city.  While it is possible to climb up to its observation platform, it was cold, getting dark, and snowing so we decided to just go to the museum inside.  Like all of the orthodox churches I have been inside, the interior is covered with religious mosaics, frescos, paintings and statues that are at times simply overwhelming.  Here are some pictures from the inside:

     
After that we went to our after finals party at a downtown blowing alley.  Humorously, the bowling alley’s equipment, shoes and bowling bowls where all American!  The night was fun for all of us and full of good food and drink, bad bowling and great people.  


Tomorrow I find out my grades, we will have a final meeting, and get all of our departure information.  Then all that I have left to do is pack up all of my loot, and prepare to say goodbye to this country and to my friends here.

And I will, in fact, be home for Christmas!


No comments:

Post a Comment