(Well I suppose it was I who returned to it, since 400 year old royal palaces don’t move around much.)
Today I had my last Russian class and this brings some conflicting emotions. I now have enough Russian (my semester here counts as a year at home) to fulfill the requirements of my minor at UCI and UCI only offers 2 years of Russian classes. While my Russian has gotten much better in my time here, I do not feel anywhere near competent in most areas beyond basic conversation, reading and writing and I don’t realistically see a way of getting better at home. But it has been great to learn more here and I am not too worried for my finals next week. They will be hard but I have worked hard and even surprised myself with my Russian a few times here.
But, after class today I decided to finally return to and finish the collection of the State Hermitage museum. I talked about it back in September when I first got to St. Petersburg but once again: it is the largest and most impressive art collection in Russia, and one of the best in the world for that matter. It is located in the former Winter Imperial Palace of Russia, effectively the Russian capital building until the revolution(s) of 1917after which it was converted into a public museum exhibiting art collections “liberated” from Russia’s elites.
| A good place to storm in a revolution |
Today I focused on the historical rooms the of the palace; the throne room, hall of generals and restored living areas, as well as going to the ancient Rome, Greece and Egypt rooms for the first time. I had a good time and finally was able to see everything left on my lost in this expansive museum. That is one of the huge advantages of living here instead of just visiting. Instead of the 1.5 hour guided tour and then leaving it takes 45 min to get there by metro, I get in free and can return there as many times as I needed to be satisfied. I don’t know if I will ever come back to St. Petersburg, but if and when I do I won’t needed a guided tour, I can give it!
This time I also took pictures inside, here are just a few:
| I think the floors and ceilings need their own museum. |
| Portraits of every Russian general if the Napoleonic Wars |
| Throne Room |
Now readers of this blog will notice how many palaces and museums I have been to in the past months and might wonder how I can still keep going back to them. I will admit that I have become a bit tired of palaces and priceless works of art, not because they are not of astounding quality, but just do to seeing so many in a relatively short period (here, in Moscow and in Paris) has lessened their impact. However I am well aware that when I see or hear about these places and works of art in the future I will fondly remember being there and seeing them. And in other good news with a few more purchases today, I have almost finished my list of Christmas gifts/ souvenirs.
I have just 9 days left in Russia, but 23 days until Christmas!
No comments:
Post a Comment