When I first started this blog I made some of my first comments about lists. On those lists, which I made though careful deliberation and consultation, where things to pack, to accomplish and to finish before leaving the country. Now I think it is only fitting to have another post about and of lists on one of my final days.
As of last Sunday I finished my list of things to do while I am still in St. Petersburg and minutes ago I finished my list of souvenirs and gifts I have slowly acquired to bring back and what of my possessions here to bring home and what to leave behind in Russia.
But being in a more philosophical mood this I have compiled a non comprehensive list of things that I have missed from home or things I believe I will miss from Russia would be both too long and depressingly counterproductive. Therefore I have chosen to consider and write down 2 more interesting lists: one of things I am surprised to not miss from home, and one of a few annoying things I will be happy to leave behind.
Here are some things I have not missed since leaving the US:
Cell Phone
(Initially I missed having a phone here, but in the beginning of our time here no one had one and I never saw a need to get one. About half of the students here also did not get them and I have never really needed one.)
TV
(I have not watched any American TV or movies since last August and have not missed it)
Driving
(walking and public transport have not let me down in Russia, it is going to take a while to get used to driving again)
My time here has been amazing and I have enjoyed and loved so many things in this great city. But there are some things I will be glad to leave behind in Russia:
Tap Water
(it will be nice to not have to fear intestinal parasites or heavy metal contamination at the sink. While I do not normally drink from the tap, it will be nice to brush my teeth in the sink again! Instead I have to buy and use 8 liter bottles of water, which has gotten quite old.)
Ability to read an ENTIRE restaurant menu again
(though my Russian has gotten much better through a combination of not knowing every food item in Russian, and an incomplete knowledge of Russian cuisine makes me order what I know less often then I would like)
Lack of sun
(it only comes out when the temperature is in the single digits and it is too cold for clouds, kind of defeating the purpose)
No more ground / flaked and formed meat!
(too much of the food here is ground or frozen, only nicer restaurants have recognizable cuts)
No more negative temperatures
(while the cold can be fun, and I have never been really uncomfortable outside, anything below the teens is just too cold for me)
Cash/exact change only in stores
(Very few places take credit cards, and most cashiers will all but demand exact change to the 10 kopeck {worth 1/3 cent} when paying for items)
No comments:
Post a Comment