{Title: Last Day}
It may by clique to say this, but all good things do come to an end. Today was my last day in Russia, and Russia did not disappoint. We have gotten well over a foot of snow in the past 24 hours and it shows no signs of stopping. I suppose Russia does not want me to go until I have an even greater understanding of snow, ice and cold.
While I wish I had some epic tale of Russian adventures from today to retell, but quite honestly I have done everything in this city that even remotely appealed to me! Today we had a final meeting (/“graduation”) with the administrator of our program Professor Kruskov and then received our final departure details from our resident director. I say “graduation” because when we were given a copy of the official paperwork with our courses and final grades, Professor Kruskov called out our names one by one; we shook his hand and got the transcript while our peers clapped.
After our meeting, I spent a big chuck of the day very methodically packing and clearing out all of the accumulated items in my room. I have enough room to bring back all but a very small number of things, most which I had always intended to leave behind. I am fairly certain it will be over the 50 pound limit for my flights, but at this point I am beyond caring.
At noon tomorrow I shall drag my bags down the 3 flights of stairs, (for some absurd reason the elevator does not stop on our floor), load up into the bus with my fellow Americans and then set off for the long journey home.
We land in London about 5pm local time and will have dinner as a group there, and then Sunday morning we all depart at different times for dozens of airports and back to reality. I leave London at noon and should arrive at LAX by 3pm PST. So by 6pm, I will be enjoying all the comforts of home!
Russia has been great, but I am very excited to go home. Back to California, where there is sun and no snow, negative temperatures, or ice to slip on! One of the greatest things about California, which I have realized today, is that it is not as cold or colder then Russia. Many of my friends here are going home to snow and winter at home, and I get to return to the 70s and sun!
I have missed everyone at home so much and once I get back I am eagerly looking forward to seeing all of you upon my return.
~ Matt (very soon not be “of the North”)
{This might be my last post for a few days, but I will update it with all the events of the next few days, and then hopefully try to add some conclusions and best moments/stories which I have overlooked or downplayed earlier}
No comments:
Post a Comment