04 December 2010

Last Expedition: Catherine Palace

Today, in the last cultural excursion of the semester, we drove out of the snowy streets of Saint Petersburg and into the more snowy countryside to visit Catherine Palace in the village of Pushkin.  The village it is located in is named after Pushkin because he went to school there and returned their throughout his life and the Bolsheviks found its pervious name Tsar’s village unacceptable for obvious reasons.


The palace was built by Empress Catherine I’s favorite Italian architect in Rococo (late baroque) style, and greatly modified by the next 4 emperors and empresses it is a bit different then the other places I have been to in the city.  In its later incarnations the palace was not a residence like Pavlosk, the Winter Place or Peterhof.  Instead it was primarily used for parties and grand state affairs in the summer time and for that reason; most of the palace is a long ballroom with complementary English style gardens.  It was very elegant but I admit not quite as impressive as some of the other royal palaces around the Saint Petersburg.  



All of the palaces suffered great damage during the 900 day siege of Leningrad and required rebuilding projects which still continue to this day, so unfortunately it is impossible to see their former glory despite how close they may be in their restorations.  For this palace I thought that it did not have the interiors of the Winter Palace, the fountains of Peterhof or the astonishing wild gardens of Pavlosk.  However the tour of the palace was enjoyable but the best part of the day was outside in the park.

We were walking in newly fallen snow that squeaked with every step looking at the boxed up statues, frozen lakes, snow covered pavilions.  We had more than a few running snowball fights today as well. They broke out both among the three students I was with, and when we chanced upon others from our program on the paths.  It also resolved an age old question, who wins in a snowball fight an Air Force academy cadet or a Ukrainian?  (answer is clearly the Ukrainian)



We had lunch on the abandoned chairs of the closed for the winter open air café, I now realize there is little better then cheese and crackers outside when it is 10 degrees out and snowing (and you are covered with and need a break from the snow).


Tomorrow will be devoted to studying Russian grammar for Monday’s final and preparing for my conversation test Tuesday.  And with another few purchases today, I only have a few more gifts on my list left to buy in the next few days for all you lucky people back home.

I have 7 more days in Russia, all that is left now is to study hard and stay warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment