Well hello there,
- On a related note: Why build your national capital in a swamp? I think I know why Virginia and Maryland donated the land back in 1790 with no fight... Today it is a very pretty, well developed and air conditioning filled one. BUT STILL A SWAMP.
It has been a while since I blogged here. Simple fact is, since this is primarily a travel blog, and since I have not been anywhere very interesting of late, I had nothing to share! But that has changed...
Two weeks ago I got on a DC bound plane with a one way ticket {well not a real one, I simply was unsure of when I would be coming home so didn't book it yet}. This is my 3rd time in DC, and first long stay in our nation's capitol. I don't yet, and honestly wont, have much to share adventure wise simply because my 40 hour a week job, two hours a day of commuting and all the associated tasks of simply living life occupy much of my time. But I do have some free time, and I have made a promise with myself to spend at least one day of every weekend playing tourist at some of the fine museums, attractions and sites in DC.
I will spare you my observations about the major sites, and how DC is the 6th national capitol I ever visited (after Rome, London, Moscow, Helsinki and Tallinn). if you care to see those, I refer you to the posts from my first visit in March 2011 including: Capital of my Own, History Day, National Treasures
Why not take a break now for a few pictures??
I also wanted to share some of my initial observations:
- I had forgotten some of the peculiarities of living in a big city (walking everywhere, having to carry groceries home, planning your events based on metro times and weather)
- Speaking of weather.... I hate HUMIDITY. Hate it. Hate. I have never preferred hot weather, but I can deal with that. But when it gets over 75% humidity, I am done. Time to hide in the AC and dream of CA beaches.
- On a related note: Why build your national capital in a swamp? I think I know why Virginia and Maryland donated the land back in 1790 with no fight... Today it is a very pretty, well developed and air conditioning filled one. BUT STILL A SWAMP.
- I am living in grad student housing at The George Washington University this summer. This was among the 4 grad schools I applied to, all of which I was admitted to. I was at first a bit worried I might have some 'buyers remorse' about picking MIIS over GW, but I am proud to report that has not happened! I have already discovered that MIIS has a good reputation in DC, going to Middlebury and studying Russian at MIIS is going to be very useful in my future, and I am saving more than $40,000 by going to MIIS. So that's all good.
- I know a lot of people in DC despite never really living here. Between fellow MIIS students here for the summer, friends from UCI here for the summer or here for one of those mystical REAL JOBS, and the various polticos I have encountered over time I am far from lonely.
- Did I mention that I hate humidity and sudden thunderstorms?
- I am already 1/4 of my way though the summer, and it is going to go fast, so if anyone has nay suggestions for what I must see or do here, let me know ASAP.
I wont be blogging too often as I said above, but I have a few fun posts planned. Until then I am well, loving my internship, learning a lot, vindicating my life choices already and generally enjoying my summer and life!
Until next time,
Matt (this time of Northeast DC)
----
[PS: I initially named this blog for my trip to Russia and how far north I would be going there. But since then I have only been on one trip that has taken me south... Anyone care to take a stab at explaining that one?]




No comments:
Post a Comment