18 August 2010

One Week Out

One week out...

Well it's all getting real now. Yesterday I received my final information, airline tickets and Russian visa and quite lovely pink luggage tags. This is really happening, in 7 days I will begin my journey to London and 3 days later to St. Petersburg.

I think I am ready for it. I have been trying my best to review Russian notes, to find weather, food and cultural information to ease my transition once I get there and have had some very nice conversations with other AIFS participants on the trip. Now I am facing the specter of empty suitcases and piles of stuff to bring along.

I have already said my goodbyes to some close friends and family and more are to come over the course of the week. I will miss you all, but I know you are all happy for me and will indulge me and put up with all my stories once I return.

Of course I have my reservations about the trip, just like I have reservations about almost everything I do. I have doubts and fears, however unjustified or silly, but those won't be in my way over the course if the next week. I am going out of the country for a reason, to expand my horizons and to experience another culture an language in its entirety. And I intend to enjoy every minute of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment