2 weeks from today I set out on my big adventure….
Record shattering heat has lead to over 600 separate fires all over southern and central Russia. With wildfires spreading all across Russia like (well it is) wildfire I am beginning my mental and actual preparations for leaving. I am not overly concerned with the wildfires, both from the proliferation of them in Socal, including some really bad seasons with raining ash and a yellow smoke filled sky and that they are not in the St Petersburg area. However, this heat wave should be interesting if it persists, but it will not save me from the winter I am sure.
In the meantime I am left with an endless series of checklists, packing lists, lists of things to buy, things to find, suggestions from my friends (thank you) who have recently returned for their own adventures. I realize that it’s just stuff like clothes and basic living supplies, and that they are easy to obtain anywhere in the world, but it’s the prospect of leaving behind the one thing I could not replace that has me scrambling. Silly little things like ipod cables, eyeglass cleaners, power converters, Russian notes……are just coming to my mind at all hours.
I suppose the alternative is worse, stuffing things into a bag an hour before leaving the airport would assure that I miss something, and waiting that long to do anything would drive my strange mind crazy.
Therefore, on balance I have to say that I will have to live with my ever-growing lists until the time comes to cross everything off them.
(Now at least I can cross update my blog off the list! It’s a start.)
No comments:
Post a Comment