Location: Earth, North America, USA, California, Los Angeles, LAX, Terminal 2, Gate 24, back right corner, last bench in the row, 2nd seat from the left.
Date: August 25, 2010
Time: 7:27 PM PST
It’s been 3 hours since I left home, 2 since I got to LAX, one since I have been in the terminal with the prospect of 2 more looming before me. Now I agree with the idea of being early to make sure airport delays don’t cause me to miss my flight, but this is just silly. On top of being at the airport early, I have a lovely 1 hour flight delay to give me even more time to contemplate before leaving the US.
A few observations I have had so far during this experience:
1. Despite what people say, it always takes an hour to get from HB to LAX, period.
2. Once again while in line for TSA screening people in front of and behind me where selected for full body scanning or additional screening but not me. Now I know that I am not a security threat, and I hope you do too, and I am certainly not complaining about the lack of inconvenience. However I find it odd that if the screenings are really random they should take the whole segment of the line, why was I randomly skipped? Or if I was deliberately skipped how is that really random screening?
3. Little kids with foreign accents are always cute, period. I am sorry, but when a little British girl (8ish) sitting down the row from me is repeatedly pestering her mother with “can I please have 20 bucks mum” you can’t help but smile.
4. Airports need more wall plugs I am using the only one in sight. And free wifi, come on its 2010, wifi in waiting areas should be a constitutional right by now.
5. Wow, I am really going to be in Russia very soon. (Assuming I ever leave LAX)
5a. Why have I not learned more Russian before going?
5b. I am going to try to study at least some basic stuff for the placement test on the plane.
6. I need to travel carrying 4 kinds of money more often, whenever I open my wallet it’s not just to look for the right denomination but I get a slideshow of the colorful and innovative Russian, British and European money. I still like the dollar better though, even with the new colorful bills. They are detailed but not gaudy, with pictures of leaders of our past not 30 year old pictures of figureheads or generic architecture/monuments.
7. Despite my constant checking, careful packing and extensive preparation I can’t help but think I have forgotten something at home. I mean my bags where underweight after all, and it’s hard to plan for what amounts to starting at a new school, moving away from home and a long vacation at the same time.
8. Why does this terminal have no clocks? This makes sense in a casino or classroom, but aren’t airports one of the places where being on time really matters?
9. Europeans think airport food is overpriced too! Even with their favorable exchange rates and month long vacations they complain about paying through the nose for inferior food too. Now if only we can unite all airline passengers of the world against this injustice we can get some real positive change in this world.
10. This blogging thing is a great way to waste time. I have killed 35 min doing this!
Addendum 1: 8:21 PM
The plane does in fact exist!
Addendum 2: Sharon Osborne is on my flight…
(Note: Post written while I was at the airport, posted when I had a reliable internet connection)
Date: August 25, 2010
Time: 7:27 PM PST
It’s been 3 hours since I left home, 2 since I got to LAX, one since I have been in the terminal with the prospect of 2 more looming before me. Now I agree with the idea of being early to make sure airport delays don’t cause me to miss my flight, but this is just silly. On top of being at the airport early, I have a lovely 1 hour flight delay to give me even more time to contemplate before leaving the US.
A few observations I have had so far during this experience:
1. Despite what people say, it always takes an hour to get from HB to LAX, period.
2. Once again while in line for TSA screening people in front of and behind me where selected for full body scanning or additional screening but not me. Now I know that I am not a security threat, and I hope you do too, and I am certainly not complaining about the lack of inconvenience. However I find it odd that if the screenings are really random they should take the whole segment of the line, why was I randomly skipped? Or if I was deliberately skipped how is that really random screening?
3. Little kids with foreign accents are always cute, period. I am sorry, but when a little British girl (8ish) sitting down the row from me is repeatedly pestering her mother with “can I please have 20 bucks mum” you can’t help but smile.
4. Airports need more wall plugs I am using the only one in sight. And free wifi, come on its 2010, wifi in waiting areas should be a constitutional right by now.
5. Wow, I am really going to be in Russia very soon. (Assuming I ever leave LAX)
5a. Why have I not learned more Russian before going?
5b. I am going to try to study at least some basic stuff for the placement test on the plane.
6. I need to travel carrying 4 kinds of money more often, whenever I open my wallet it’s not just to look for the right denomination but I get a slideshow of the colorful and innovative Russian, British and European money. I still like the dollar better though, even with the new colorful bills. They are detailed but not gaudy, with pictures of leaders of our past not 30 year old pictures of figureheads or generic architecture/monuments.
7. Despite my constant checking, careful packing and extensive preparation I can’t help but think I have forgotten something at home. I mean my bags where underweight after all, and it’s hard to plan for what amounts to starting at a new school, moving away from home and a long vacation at the same time.
8. Why does this terminal have no clocks? This makes sense in a casino or classroom, but aren’t airports one of the places where being on time really matters?
9. Europeans think airport food is overpriced too! Even with their favorable exchange rates and month long vacations they complain about paying through the nose for inferior food too. Now if only we can unite all airline passengers of the world against this injustice we can get some real positive change in this world.
10. This blogging thing is a great way to waste time. I have killed 35 min doing this!
Addendum 1: 8:21 PM
The plane does in fact exist!
Addendum 2: Sharon Osborne is on my flight…
(Note: Post written while I was at the airport, posted when I had a reliable internet connection)
No comments:
Post a Comment