03 September 2010

Sailing the River Neva

Tonight we went on a river cruise along the city’s main river, the Neva. The Neva is important because it splits the city in half and also contains the main islands of this city built on a swamp. Before it was controlled its periodic floods destroyed vast tracts of the city on a fairly regular basis. And since it freezes as winter approaches, the window for bout tours is rapidly closing.


While on paper the idea sounded kind of tourist trapy, it turned out to be much more fun tehn any of us could have imagined. They had a jazz band playing 20s and 30s standards as we cruised along the river bank and under the bridges which where all lit up in the night. It was a wonderful sight and we all had a lot of fun out there, forgetting the 50 degree weather and light rain that hit us when we went outside to fully enjoy it. Unfortunately, the pictures did not turn out too well due to poor light in the twilight conditions we were taking them in.




I will have to now add hearing “When the Saints Come Marching In” while sailing down the River Neva in St Petersburg, Russia to my list of things I never expected to do or have happen but have very much enjoyed.

I also finally went out to explore all of the food places and stores available around the IMOP building. I discovered 2 full size malls I must have missed before as well as several others restaurants, including a Russia based American style food chain which should be quite interesting to see what they call American food. I also found a new full sized umbrella, as it appears this rain apparently will never cease (going to have to get used to that)…












No comments:

Post a Comment