15 October 2010

Au Revoir Paris! Привет Санкт-Петербург!


Woke up and had another amazing French breakfast, I am going to miss them in St. Petersburg, and we once again set out on the streets of Paris.  The weather is, for the first time on my entire vacation, overcast but still a nice day and much warmer then it is back in Russia.

Today’s main attraction is the Museum of the French Army located in the invalid’s palace in the very center of the city.  While we originally thought it would be an interesting way to spend a morning, it turned out to be quite a large place and took up the best part of the day, and quite an enjoyable day it was.

We first went to their special exposition…. About the history of the Russian Imperial Guards, from of all places…. the Hermitage Museum in St. Petersburg!  I have therefore come to the conclusion that I will never be able to escape Russian culture, language or artifacts as it seems to be following me around everywhere I go now!  


They had quite well planned any laid out exhibits on the history of fighting in and by France from the very early medieval period until the post war era.  It was most certainly history with a French slant however; the worse thing I noticed was about the Americans showing up late to WWI and with “only” around a million soldiers mobilized in 9 months.   The best exhibit, in my opinion was the large collection of items, exhibits and digital battle recreations revolving around Napoleon and his era.  But I suppose it is to be expected since he is one of, if not the biggest figure in French history and it was time of pride and glory for France.





They had a very modern (and almost brand new) exhibit on the life and career of Charles de Gaul.  In fact I think this is what museums in the future will be like.  Every person in the exhibit has a set of headphones and as you move to different places it automatically plays audio associated with where you are.  They had touch screens everywhere, projections on the walls, floors and ceilings and presented a quite impressive multimedia and interactive experience.  But once again the French slant on history was slightly annoying, basically implying that it was his inspired leadership and speeches on the radio that won World War Two with very few references all of the other events.  But I did learn a lot about him and his very distinct French way of life and governing.



The complex also has a cathedral which contains the burial places of Napoleon and the most famous and successful Marshals of France.  It was quite ornate, the facades and statues around his tomb with images depicting him in an almost Roman god like matter with marble and gold everywhere.




After that we went to Luxembourg Park, a landscaped European park and the location of the French Senate building.  That sitting in t he park and strolling around that part of town  pleasant way to wind down the final down the final daylight hours I had in Paris.  Just one final stop before going back to the hotel and dinner, the small Statue of Liberty on an island in the Seine River.  I wish I knew more about the story of this statue as I am sure it is interesting, considering the Statue of Liberty was a gift to the US from France and designed by a Frenchman.  


I find it hard to believe that it has only been a week since I left Saint Petersburg via midnight train.  Tomorrow all I have to look forward to is a very early flight and a return to Russia.  My vacation, and the time spent with my mom, has been amazing and I have added more lifelong memories to go along with those of my amazing semester in Russia.

And now, back to Russian adventures!

On deck for the second half…. Russian Opera, Classical Concert, Ballet, Finland, Estonia, more palaces, Hermitage and Russian Museum revisited, city zoo, return to Peter and Paul Fortress, and plenty of other historic, interesting and distinctly Russian places!

No comments:

Post a Comment