17 August 2012

Sweet Home (by way of) Chicago


{This post is dedicated to the Brilliant and Beautiful Alex Lohman who saved me in an hour (well many hours) of need.}

Now I am going to be doing something completely original and a first for the internet: complaining about the problems of the American air transport system as they apply to me in s form which will never bring about a positive change!  I have been fortunate to have never suffered many significant setbacks in my travels, and when they do occur it is often just a flight that is a little late, no harm done.  However in my attempt to come home from Middlebury, I have encountered more issues traveling than in the combined history of this blog.

I left Middlebury at 2:30pm for a one hour drive to Burlington Airport and a simple 5:30 flight to Chicago with a connector to LAX.  If all went right, I would have been home at the reasonable hour of 10pm.  However my luck did not hold.  When I arrived at the ticket counter I was informed that the plane was 2 hours late, and that I would need to be booked on a new connector in Chicago.  Normal enough.  5 hours later I was still in Vermont, my new connector was canceled and the next flight home leaving at 9:45am local time.  So I was stuck in Chicago for 12 hours.  Counting the time I was rebooked initially back in July, this trip had 5 different sets of flights.

Out of the depths of my frustration, a simmering light appeared.  My friend, Model United Nations Comrade in Arms and future General Counsel of my consulting group, Alex Loham offered me a place to sleep in Chicago.  Not only that, but she came to get me at the airport, made sure I had dinner and even escorted me back to the airport.  I have always been blessed with good friends, and I wish that I could fully and more often appreciate this fact outside of crisis situations.

Now for my cynical, frustrated, wanting-to-go-home-and-be-home-now observations:

Airline Employees:  I know they have a hard job and constantly have to deal with grumpy people, but really now?  When I was trying to find a new flight home, I had to tell the woman working at the registration desk the airport codes for Long Beach and John Wayne.  I don’t normally expect a lot from people (to avoid disappointment) but if you are a gate agent at an airport where 90% of the people have connecting flights, you should know the airport codes.  This reminds me of the time I was told by a bank teller that I could not order “Italian Money” at the bank, but could get Euros…  Airline tickets are expensive, I am paying to be there, we deserve better.

Communication with passengers:  I understand it is hard to deal with flight delays, but at any given minute I was given three different arrival/departure times for my flight (on the board, online and the gate agent).  This means that at least two, if not three were false, misleading and confusing.  Moreover, I found out my connecting flight to LA was canceled via email to my phone, never by the gate agents whose job it is to get me to my destination.  There is no excuse for a lack of communication that is accurate and consistent in this day and age.  I don’t care how bad it is, give me the truth.  And if they don’t have this information, it means they have lost track of an airplane… and that is an issue.

Silver linings:
1. I got to see Alex! (for however short it was)
2. I got to “visit” Chicago for the first time in 4 years!
3. The (tens of?) thousands of dollars my parents have invested in me to become a traveler seem to pay dividends in difficult situations.
4. I have awesome friends!
5. I start grad school in 3 days!

So now I have less than two days in SoCal to pack up and head north, but I can, and will do it while still having as much fun with people here as possible.

~ Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment