26 August 2012

Welcome to Monterey!


Well it has been a week since I moved to the beautiful city of Monterey.  Classes have not started yet and this week was one of moving in, orientations, more Russian tests and getting to know my new classmates and new home.

I like my new campus, though it is small and lack the facilities and space of most traditional campuses (it is a serious of buildings spread over 3 blocks).  Though in all fairness it has everything I need and there are only 800 students here.  I have met many fun new people and I really like the faculty as well. It is going to be a challenge to decide what classes I want to take in the future, only because they are all so interesting to me! I guess my similarities with my classmates is another case of self selection, all of the people in my program are very interested in WMDs or terrorism and have studied foreign languages and most have lived abroad.  the best part is when I talk about serious issues with my classmates, they understand what I am talking about and have fully formed well reasoned positions on those issues.

I have a new apartment in the city, a mere 10 min walk from campus and less than 30 min to downtown, plus a 10 min drive to anything I need in a store. My studio is not large, not very fancy and a bit too expensive...  However it is all mine and has everything I need.   Here is what my room looks like: (I do believe that you will think that it is very "me")




Tomorrow morning classes start!  I am taking Russian Social and Political issues (in Russian), Introduction to WMDs, Introduction to Terrorism and Public Policy Analysis.  This is going to be a lot of work, a lot of stress, but ultimately a lot of fun and the challenge I have been seeking.

Until we meet again,

Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment